Mediation has a proven track record.....
- A much less expensive alternative to potential tribunal cases (average cost to organisation £14,000 each case, excluding compensation (1));
- Reduction of management and HR time potentially spent on formal grievance / disciplinary processes (estimated to be 9 days total and £3,000 per issue (1) );
- Speedy resolution (most completed in one day);
- A non-adversarial process focussing on collaboration;
- High success rate (over 80% of parties reach agreement);
- Helps rebuild positive staff morale;
- Reduces the number of formal workplace grievances;
- Helps reduce absenteeism;
- Highly confidential, no need to involve others within the organisation;
- Supports a culture which focuses on good leadership and positive policies and procedures;
- Informal process allows for greater flexibility to suit the needs of the situation;
- Confidentiality and use of independent mediator(s) allow for much more open and honest exploration of the issues and therefore a greater chance of success;
- Can offer a fresh cultural approach to organisations wishing to avoid the potentially destructive effects of drawn-out conflict, e.g. lower colleague morale, loss of focus and/or productivity, stress absence, blame culture.
(1) CIPD Managing Conflict at Work Survey 2007
© 2015 Manchester Mediation Network